Internet Slang Dictionary 2015
Hey! I’m Natalie. I’m 21 years young and I’m still down with the kids. Although the fact that I just used the phrase ‘down with the kids’ shows that I’m actually, in fact, not. But as the youngest monkey there are many topics of discussion that often leave me feeling like a n00b. For example,
- Discussions of TV shows from 'back in the day' that I never watched
- 70s/80s/90s songs that I don’t know and have never listened to
- General Bristol talk (I currently commute from Cardiff so if you want to know the best places to eat, COME TO ME.)
- House buying jargon - I recently became the only person in the office who isn’t a home owner.
However, being the youngster does have many advantages;
- I’ve yet to need a single caffeine fix in a working day
- When I make mistakes, people blame it on my age (rather than just my pure stupidity hehehe)
- I’m an expert when it comes to 00s music
- I don't have to deal with crap like house surveyors, solicitors, etc.
- I have extensive knowledge when it comes to awful celebrities like The Kardashians and Zoella
- Being tech-savvy comes pretty naturally
- Which means I know what makes a strong selfie
- And I know my peng from my on fleek
And it's my occasional use of quick hand slang that leaves the Monkey team kumfumbled. So I felt it was my duty to inform all of our avid blog readers about the internet slang that’s being thrown around these days. Some of it I use ironically. Some of it I originally used ironically, now has become part of my everyday vocabulary - I’m SOZ.
And who knows, you may find a quick throw in of a AF or IK might just help you save a character or two and get your Twitter game on slay (or help one day if you want to speak to a young' un in their native tongue.)
“It is hot AF today”
Before anyone else / a shortened version of babe (because babe wasn’t short enough, apparently)
“I’ve resized these images for you.”
“You are BAE!”
Someone who lacks in any interesting qualities and characteristics or originality. They are often predictable and sometimes strongly fit the ‘white girl’ stereotype.
“Lol, look at her with her spiced pumpkin latte. She’s so basic.”
I took Friday off bc it was National Hug a Boss Day and well…Jon, though
“I’m not really hungry”
“fe, mate. Fe”
"Meetings with Noisy Little Monkey are gr8"
Admittedly, I only put the previous slang term in so I would be able to use this meme.
“jcing with my two boys ben and jerry”
Let’s go (Sadly not those beloved building blocks)
“Lego get some bacon!”
Synonym for fit/sexy/hot
“Wow, check him out. He is peng.”
On point or absolutely perfect, only used when referring to fashion, hair and beauty.
“Her eyebrows are ON FLEEK”
Acting disrespectful/dissing somebody
Used when someone succeeds in something amazing
“I completed the race for life in record time today”
“YOU SLAY GURL”
Shaking my head
Used mostly in dismay
“Remember that time I fell down the stairs?”
a really supportive, enthusiastic and excited yes
Often used like “yaaaas girl slay!”
I'm sure you've probably lost an innumerable amount of brain cells after reading this, just like I did when writing it ;). But the biggest lesson learnt from this blog post is that I am a truly awful human being. Awful for knowing all of this. Awful for sometimes, perhaps un-ironically, using this and awful for teaching you this. Either way, I hope this has helped unravel the mystery of our foreign language and help you understand what on earth we actually trying to say.
p.s. please don't take this blog post seriously.