Social Media Ideas for Christmas
It's December, which means you should have already thought about your social media ideas for Christmas. But if you haven't, don't panic, in this blog are some ideas to spark inspiration for your social content over the festive period.
With big brands paying agencies big money to create remarkable Christmas content to engage consumers, it’s a tough time to come up with social media ideas. So take a look below for some suggestions that you can use to drive some extra engagement from your followers this Christmas.
Idea 1: Food
Who DOESN’T love food? NO ONE. Especially Christmas food. It’s the one time of the year where it’s acceptable to be in a food coma for 12 days straight; minced pies, pigs in blankets, candy canes, candied nuts, mulled wine... I digress. What I’m trying to say is that there’s so many ideas you could do on social media related to food that are sure to grab your audience’s attention. You could:
- Do a food poll on Twitter. What meat is your audience eating this year? Are they fans of Quality Streets or Roses? How many pigs in blankets can a grown man fit in his face? It’s something so simple but also so easy for your audience to engage with.
- Photoshop some Christmas food into objects of whatever industry you’re in. Hear us out. We have a client who are all about diggers and rail road vehicles and we created this image below for #NationalSandwichDay. What can we say? It got a load of likes. So if you’re in law, how about a gavel smashing some nuts? Or, if you're in recruitment, what about candy canes in the pocket of your suit! The possibilities are endless.
- Share your Christmas food photos! There’s a reason #FoodPorn is a hashtag after all. If you’re having a Christmas party, snap it. If one of your colleagues has baked some food, Instagram it and just wait for the likes to come rolling in.
Idea 2: Animals
I bet that a dog video will appear on your Facebook timeline within the first two minutes of scrolling through. That’s because animals and pets rule social media. That is fact. If you’ve got an office dog, make sure you take advantage of this. Here’s what you could do…
- Animals in Christmas attire. Is the featured image of this blog not proof enough?!
- Animals in Christmas settings. Your dog by the fireplace, your parrot on the tree and videos of pets in gift packaging - you know what cats can be like with their cardboard boxes.
- A funny spin on existing Christmas campaigns. A prime example of this is the video below…
Idea 3: You
This one is as simple, if not more so, than the other suggestions in this blog. People buy into people and your followers probably followed you because there was something about YOU that they liked - whether it be your face or your tone of voice. Play into this…
- You and your team wearing things: a Christmas jumper, a Santa hat, reindeer headband, anything Christmas related – wear it and share it!
- Utilise social media features. Share selfies across all platforms of you ‘testing out’ the seasonal Instagram stickers. Not only will it bring some laughter to your day, but it'll show that you and your brand are on top of the latest social media trends.
Throwback to our Christmas party! Did we travel back to the 90s or did we just get a disposable camera? 📸 pic.twitter.com/xvLX9fmS6B— Noisy Little Monkey (@noisymonkey) February 18, 2019
Idea 4: Nostalgia
This idea is such a powerful feeling to play into, especially during Christmas time. People yearn for those simpler and happier moments, and your followers are no exception. It’s time to jump on the #ThrowbackThursday band wagon! You could…
- Share and laugh about what you got for Christmas when you were a child
- Create blog posts around your favourite Christmas films
- Create and share a Spotify playlist of your favourite Christmas tunes
- Share old pictures of yourself when you were a kid during Christmas. The more embarrassing, the better. See below.
- These categories are winners on social for us and will probably be for you too. We hope we’ve given you enough ideas and inspiration that’ll drive your engagement through the roof. If you need tips on smashing out your seasonal social in just a short space of time, have a look at the free PDF below!